Thomas W. Heim Jr.
39 W. Del Rio Dr.
Tempe, AZ. 85282
Cover Letter in MS Word Format
Major: B.S. Chemistry - University of Arizona 1980
Minors: Computer Science, Math/Physics
OpenVMS(VMS, POSIX), UNIX(ULTRIX, Digital(OSF/1), HP-UX, Red Hat Linux,
AIX, Solaris, OS X(Darwin)), Windows(95, 98, NT, 200x, XP), ELN,
RSX-11M/M+, RT-11, CP/M
Patents Pending: (U.S. & International)
Flexible Realtime Data Access Method for Memory Resident Systems
Multiple Computer Access to A Process Control System
Active member of the Encompass
(previously known as Digital Equipment Computer User Society -
DECUS) since 1979; speaking at both the National Symposia and the Local
User Group (LUG). Current Chairperson, and Webmaster for the Cactus LUG.
Mr. Heim has over twenty-five years experience in the computer industry with extensive hands-on data center operations management experience which include hardware planning, production scheduling, change management, hardware and operating upgrades, issue resolution, system failure and fault isolation, and overall technical center and personnel oversight.
Server experience includes OpenVMS starting with early VAXen and AlphaServer clusters with Apache Secure Web Server and SAN hardware and later development and migration strategies to Alphas and IA64 Integrity platforms. Most variations of UNIX, including HP-UX, Solaris and Linux, and configuration and management of a number of Windows Servers.
Application development experience includes projects written in C/C++, Pascal and FORTRAN. Software Development Life Cycle, Project Management, Root Cause Analysis, Lean & Six-Sigma continuous improvement tools and techniques. Leverage learned and prior work experience in the design and implementation of robust, innovative technology solutions to complex problems. Leading reviews of implemented technology solutions, documenting lessons learned and recommending enhancements or improvements where appropriate.
The following is a complete list of his experience. A list of references will be provided upon request:
Heim EnterpriZes Ltd. (1989 - present)
Member HP's Developer and Solution Partner Program
Have Laptop, Will Travel
Providing technical solutions for:
- OpenVMS®, UNIX, Windows
- Manufacturing/Warehouse Automation
- Client/Server Interfaces
- Total Wireless Solutions
- System Management
- Process Control
- Server Consolidation and Migration
- Internet Access/Web Page Services
Reuters America (May 2007 - Current Position)
- OpenVMS RAQ migration from Alpha to I64 hardware.
- RAQ software development, real-time financial data acquisition system written in PASCAL and C/C++.
- OpenVMS capacity management for AlphaServer OpenVMS 7.3-2 RAQs used in processing financial data.
Union Switch and Signal (Oct. 2006 - April 2007)
- Code mining of Union Pacific Railroad Control System written in C and MACRO32 on VAXen to document requirements for upgrading the system hardware and software.
- Generally assisting in troubleshooting OpenVMS running control systems for the nations largest Railroads.
Semiconductor (Global VMS System Manager) - (Apr. 2006 - 6 Month
- Global OpenVMS System Management. Primarily eight Global
AlphaServer clusters with a variety of StorageWorks subsystems
including HSJ CI, HSZ SCSI and HSG SAN hardware. These systems provide
primary and secondary manufacturing execution environments for
production of semiconductors. Duties include OS Upgrades/Updates,
Backup/Restore and DCL coding
- PROMIS software support including source code management and
modifications to enhance performance and include in-house specific
customizations written in FORTRAN, C and C++.
(Member Technical Staff) (Sept. 2005 - Mar.
- Project Management and Implementation for the Migration of PC
terminals in the wafer manufacturing clean room to Apple Mac Minis.
- Global systems monitoring using Open Source Nagios
Medtronic Microelectronics Center
(Principal Software Engineer) - (Apr. 1998 - Sept. 2004)
- PROMIS software support including source modifications to enhance performance and include in-house specific customizations written in FORTRAN and C.
- AutoSimulations software support. APF Administration, Reporting, Dispatching and AutoSched AP Modeling.
- Project Management for a variety of IT Projects.
- OpenVMS system management of AlphaServer/VAXen cluster and SAN hardware with Apache Secure Web Server.
Intel (Principal Software
Engineer) - (Oct. 1997 - Apr. 1998)
- Year 2000 testing in worldwide factories.
- OpenVMS VAX migration to OpenVMS AXP worldwide.
Honeywell IAC (Principal
Software Engineer) - (May 1989 - Oct. 1997)
- Porting of Windows NT developed process control clients to
OpenVMS utilizing the Wind/U product developed by Bristol Technology
- Design and development of new hardware and software technologies used to provide an Open Systems environment for future Honeywell products including:
- Object Oriented analysis and design methodologies.
- Current Client/Server technologies;
OSFs Distributed Computing
OMGs Common Object Request
Broker Architecture (CORBA) and
Common Object Model (DCOM).
These products are distributed across AXP, Intel and PowerPC
processors with Windows NT, VAX and AXP processors with OpenVMS,
PA-RISC processors with HP-UX and RS6000 processors with AIX.
- Migration of VAX OpenVMS to AXP OpenVMS applications written in PASCAL, FORTRAN and C.
- Development of icon based interface to Honeywell's CM50N product using the DEC Real-time Integrator written in C.
- Development of X11R4/R5 OSF/MOTIF interfaces for current products written in C.
- Design and Implementation of Secure Network Process Interface (SNPI) for Honeywell's CM50N product. A SNPI is ELN PASCAL based firmware, including device driver, loaded onto a Honeywell PLant Network Module (PLNM) utilizing the VAX rt300 processor.
SIMPACT Associates, INC.
(Member Technical Staff) - (Jan. 1988 - May 1989)
Member of the Computer Systems Engineering Group
- ELN device driver for a real-time clock (RTC01) designed for the VAXBI including applications for testing and distribution.
- Wrote KERNEL Mode routines to access VMS I/O database structures to manipulate the BIIC registers in a VAXBI node space to allow user access without the use of a device driver.
- Wrote VMS device driver and software library for a VAXBI real-time clock module.
- Wrote one of the first VMS V5.0 device drivers utilized to support the Star Technologies Array Processor VAXBI module.
Newspaper Systems, Support & Engineering Associates (Technical
Staff) - (May 1987 - Nov. 1987)
- Wrote software to perform various remote procedures between
VAX/VMS and AST/XENIX systems performing classified ad pagination and
Camex XENIX 68000 systems acting as file servers for typesetters and
White Data Systems (Systems Analyst) - (Nov. 1985 - April 1987)
- Specification and Installation of Digital hardware and software, laser scanners, bar code printers, light pens, programmable logic controllers and data communications interfaces required for customer sites.
- Design and Implementation of data communications interfaces and Analysis of Plant Wide Networking Strategies for Manufacturing and Warehousing applications.
- System Management of all Digital Equipment systems and networks used in-house, including purchase of new peripherals and System Maintenance contracts.
SIMPACT Associates, INC.
(Member Technical Staff) - (Sep. 1984 - Nov. 1985)
Member of the Consulting Services group.
- Design of automated test system for an intelligent communications board (ICP1622V) running RSX-11M.
- Consulting for VMS, RSX-11M/M+ and data communications problems.
Digital Equipment Corp.
(Senior Software Specialist) - (Feb. 1984 - Aug. 1984)
Member of the Digital Software Services group.
- Networking Specialist for all Digital communications products in the Southwest district.
- Consulting for all networking products, RSX-11M/M+ and VMS in the Southwest district.
Digital Equipment Corp.
(Software Engineer II) - (Apr. 1982 - Feb. 1984)
Member of the Software Engineering and Systems Automation group.
- Installed and maintained DECnet network, including a router for the corporate engineering network.
- Designed and Implemented various functions of the VAX Integrated Manufacturing System (VIMS) project.
GTE Microcircuits (Software
Analyst) - (May 1979 - Apr. 1982)
- Managed VAX/VMS systems used for design and analysis of integrated circuits and process development.
- Wrote and maintained both wafer and DIP production tests for MOS memories.
- Wrote procedure to generate stepping patterns for wafer testing on probers without edgesence capabilities.
- Redesigned test language for MOS memories with RSX-11M interfaced to Fairchild's XINCOM memory testers.
- Wrote package to transfer data between ADAR, LTX, and Fairchild testers to VAX/VMS systems.
- Wrote process to automatically translate digital test patterns from the ADAR test language format to Sentry VII testers.